The reelection campaign of President Donald Trump is saying Facebook displayed "flagrant bias" when it took down a post that contained a video with the president saying young people are “almost immune” to the coronavirus.
Facebook said the video was removed because it contained “false claims.”
“The President was stating a fact that children are less susceptible to the coronavirus,” Trump campaign deputy national press secretary Courtney Parella said in a statement. “Another day, another display of Silicon Valley’s flagrant bias against this President, where the rules are only enforced in one direction. Social media companies are not the arbiters of truth.”
A spokesperson for Facebook said to NBC News in a statement that the video that was removed “includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation.”
“I do say again, young people are almost immune to this disease. The younger the better,” Trump said last week during a White House briefing with reporters. “They’re stronger, they have a stronger immune system.”
Trump's comment about young people and coronavirus came during an interview where he encouraged the reopening of schools this fall even though the coronavirus pandemic continues to plague the country.
Despite the fact that adults make up the largest percentage of coronavirus patients, children are also capable of contracting the condition.
On Thursday night, Twitter also briefly blocked Trump's campaign account for posting the same video on its platform, which violated the company's coronavirus misinformation policy.
In the video, Trump said about children's capability to contract coronavirus, "They don't have a problem, they just don't have a problem." Trump added, "It doesn't have an impact on them. I've watched some doctors say they're totally immune."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.