Tags: the washington post | cbs | praised | tom marino | withdraw | drug czar

WashPost, CBS Praised for Leading Marino to Withdraw

Image: WashPost, CBS Praised for Leading Marino to Withdraw
(Bill Clark/Getty Images)

By    |   Tuesday, 17 October 2017 02:26 PM

An investigative report by The Washington Post and CBS' "60 Minutes" led to Rep. Tom Marino removing himself from consideration for the post of White House drug czar, generating praise from fellow journalists for illustrating the power of the media to keep the government honest at a time when President Donald Trump frequently derides the profession, CNN reported on Tuesday.

Marino, a Pennsylvania Republican, was Trump's pick to be drug czar, but withdrew his name for the job after his role was exposed in passing a law that made it tougher to limit the spread of opioid drugs.

"It's a stunning result," Jeff Leen, the Post's editor in charge of investigations, told CNN. "We put the facts out there and we let other people take care of the results."

The Post story on the issue was published on Sunday morning and the "60 Minutes" report on the same topic later that night. Trump was asked about it by the media on Monday and by Tuesday Marino had asked not to be considered for the job.

The two reports documented how Marino, while taking nearly $100,000 from the pharmaceutical lobby, helped drug distributors pass an industry-friendly law that harmed the Drug Enforcement Agency's efforts to halt the spread of the opioid crisis.

It was the first time in nearly a decade that the Post and "60 Minutes" had worked together.

"We energized them and helped them to do a very powerful broadcast, and they energized us to do a full spectrum presentation on our end," Leen told CNN. "There was a synergy that created forward momentum and let everybody know, at both shops, that this was a very important project."

During the investigation, Marino refused to speak with either the Post or CBS.

"We're proud of the reporting and of the collaboration with the Washington Post," said "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager. "We all hope for stories with impact and this certainly qualifies as one with a powerful impact. It is an important story that we will continue reporting as it as it unfolds."

Trump "remains committed to confronting the opioid epidemic which claimed over 60,000 lives last year alone," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday, according to The Wall Street Journal.

She said the president would nominate another person for the position, but didn't specify when that would take place.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
An investigative report by The Washington Post and CBS' "60 Minutes" led to Rep. Tom Marino removing himself from consideration for the post of White House drug czar, generating praise from fellow journalists for illustrating the power of the media to keep the government...
the washington post, cbs, praised, tom marino, withdraw, drug czar
394
2017-26-17
Tuesday, 17 October 2017 02:26 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved