From Omaha and Lincoln to Washington, D.C., a growing topic of discussion is whether Nebraska’s Republican Sen. Ben Sasse will resign before his first term is up in 2020 and become president of the University of Nebraska.
Sasse, holder of a doctorate from Yale and himself a past president of Midland College in Fremont, Neb., has been on the short list of every prospective head of the Cornhusker State’s university since NU President Hank Bounds announced his resignation two weeks ago.
The senator’s office will not confirm or deny that Sasse will allow his name to be submitted to a soon-to-be-formed search committee to choose Bounds’ successor.
The only comment about the now-open NU presidency from Sasse was “no state is more closely associated with its great university system than Nebraska. ... Our future is bright.”
“I’d say there’s a 90 percent chance he won’t do it,” one former Republican office-holder from Nebraska who requested anonymity told Newsmax, “But there’s always that 10 percent.”
A “never Trumper” in ’16, Sasse has publicly mused about challenging President Trump for renomination in ’20 or leaving the Republican Party.
Asked by CNN’s Jake Tapper whether he thought about leaving the party, Sasse replied: “I probably think about it every morning when I wake up and I figure out, why -- why am I flying away from Nebraska to go to D.C. this week? Are we going to get real stuff done? So I'm committed to the party of Lincoln and Reagan, as long as there's a chance to reform it.”
Sasse was, however, firmly in the President’s corner on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and on declaring a national emergency over the Mexican border.
Should Sasse get the university position, Republican Gov. Pete Ricketts would name a fellow Republican to his seat.
John Gizzi is chief political columnist and White House correspondent for Newsmax. For more of his reports, Go Here Now.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.