Roger Stone is seeking to delay the start of his prison sentence amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The former Trump campaign adviser, 67, said Sunday that his legal team will be in court this week to try to push back the start date for his 40 months behind bars for witness tampering, obstruction, and lying to investigators as part of the Russia probe.
"I am headed to Court this week to delay the death sentence ordering me to a COVID-19 infested prison," Stone wrote in a Facebook post Sunday.
Two days prior, Stone announced his intention to delay the start date in an Instagram video. He was previously ordered to report to a facility by June 30.
"I have instructed my attorneys to file an immediate emergency motion with Judge Amy Berman Jackson asking for an extension in my surrender date because of the dangers of coronavirus, and at the same time asking to be left out of prison on an appeal bond pending the hearing of my very real appeal," Stone said.
"I am not optimistic about a favorable ruling on either motion given the history of this trial, but I do feel an obligation to pursue every legal avenue, and exhaust them, before going formally to the president of the United States and appealing for a pardon or commutation of sentence in the name of both mercy and justice."
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.