Tags: Trump Administration | GOP2016 | Priebus | RNC | Convention | Rules

Report: Priebus Slammed for 'Breach of Trust' on Convention Rules Plan

Image: Report: Priebus Slammed for 'Breach of Trust' on Convention Rules Plan
 (AP)

By    |   Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 09:51 PM

Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus is under attack by several top officials — considered loyalists during his six years at the helm — for not informing members of proposed changes to the rules guiding the national convention in Cleveland in July.

"I consider this to be a major breach of trust," Bruce Ash, the chairman of the RNC's rules Committee, told The Washington Times in its report published Saturday.

Ash, who represents Arizona, shared with the Times a copy of an email Priebus sent to the rules committee by a supporter of front-runner Donald Trump who asked not to be identified, according to Times reporter Ralph Z. Hallow.

The Washington Times report comes after The New York Times disclosed that Priebus quietly sent texts to rules committee members last week urging them not change the nominating process at its Florida meeting next week to avoid looking as if the RNC was trying to block Trump from becoming the nominee.

The email provided to the Washington Times concerns the failure of the RNC's Legal Counsel's Office to inform rules committee members that a representative from Oregon, Solomon Yue, had proposed conducting the convention according to Robert's Rules of Order.

Currently, the convention is governed by the arcane Rules of the U.S. House of Representatives, the Times reports.

Yue is seeking the change to prevent the convention chairman — expected to be House Speaker Paul Ryan — from reopening the nominations for president without a majority vote of the delegates to the convention.

The House rules could be interpreted to allow such a move, the Times reports, while that would not be allowed under Robert's Rules.

At least 70 percent of the delegates expected to be in Cleveland would be supporting either Trump or rival Ted Cruz, the Times reports. They would very likely oppose reopening nominations.

"Establishment forces want to hijack the nomination with a 'fresh face'" that is neither Trump nor Cruz, Yue said in the email provided to the Times.

The former Priebus loyalists have told the newspaper that they believe that the RNC is working every way to guarantee a possible win for Ohio Gov. John Kasich — or some other "white knight."

First elected in 2011, Priebus, 44, has had the backing of nearly all of the RNC's 168 members, according to the Times.

He is the only national chairman to have garnered three successive two-year terms.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus is under attack by several top officials - considered loyalists during his six years at the helm - for not informing members of proposed changes to the rules guiding the national convention in Cleveland in July.
Priebus, RNC, Convention, Rules
395
2016-51-16
Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 09:51 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved