Democrats hold an advantage over Republicans in a new poll from Politico/Morning Consult, which has the party 7 percentage points ahead on a generic congressional ballot.
The survey asked if voters would prefer a generic Democratic candidate or a generic Republican candidate with no names involved. In a similar poll taken last week, the two parties were tied at 40 percent each.
- Republican candidate: 37 percent.
- Democratic candidate: 44 percent.
- Undecided: 19 percent.
Democratic voters were more likely to back their party's candidate than Republicans, while independents were more split, but still favored the Democratic candidate.
- Democrats: 90 percent for Democratic candidate, 2 percent against.
- Republicans: 85 percent for GOP candidate, 5 percent against.
- Independents: 34 percent for Democrats, 25 percent for GOP, 41 percent undecided.
President Donald Trump's approval rating fell slightly from last week, continuing its steady downward trend.
- This week, 42 percent approve of Trump's job performance.
- This week, 53 percent disapprove.
- Last week, 43 percent approved.
- Last week, 52 percent disapproved.
"In our poll taken immediately following President Trump's inauguration, 31 percent of independent voters disapproved of him," Kyle Dropp, Morning Consult Co-founder and Chief Research Officer, told Politico.
"In this latest poll, that number has nearly doubled to 56 percent. What's more, the percentage of voters who 'strongly' disapprove has jumped from 23 percent to 41 percent in that same time period."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.