Joe Biden would beat President Donald Trump 42% to 35% in a hypothetical general election contest, a new Politico/Morning Consult poll reveals.
And Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., would defeat the president 40% to 35%.
No other Democrat would be able to claim victory over Trump, according to the poll.
Here are how the results, released Wednesday, break down:
- 73% of Republicans would vote for Trump in a race against Biden, while 9% would vote for the former vice president.
- 5% of Democrats would vote for the president, while 75% would back Biden.
- 30% of independents would vote for Trump, compared to 38% who would support Biden.
- 75% of Republicans would vote for Trump in a race against Sanders, compared to 6% who would vote for the senator.
- 5% of Democrats would vote for the president, while 71% would back Sanders.
- 30% of independents would vote for Trump, compared to 38% who would vote for Sanders.
- 42% approve of the job Trump is doing as president, while 55% disapprove.
The poll, conducted Aug. 16-18, surveyed 1,998 registered voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.