Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts' political team has canceled a Tuesday fundraiser, which included GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence, two Republican sources told Politico.
Nebraska Republican Party Chairman Dan Welch told the Omaha World-Herald that he had received word indirectly from Ricketts' office that both a fundraiser and rally scheduled with Pence in Omaha had been called off, although he said he did not know the reason for the cancellation.
However, many prominent Republicans have slammed Trump after the release on Friday of a 2005 video in which he makes lewd comments about women. Nebraska's congressional leadership not only criticized him but called for Trump to step aside as a candidate for president, the Lincoln Journal Star reported.
Ricketts did not press for Trump to quit the race, but issued a statement condemning the Republican nominee's comments as "not only reprehensible and offensive, but they are dangerous," adding that "His apology video was inadequate."
A source close to the Ricketts family said the events were called off "because of a lack of interest in the donor community in Nebraska for the Trump-Pence fundraiser," Politico reported.
Brian Baker, an adviser to the Ricketts family, insisted that neither the governor nor his family was backing away from its support for the Republican presidential ticket, saying they would be pleased to welcome Pence any time he wants to come to Nebraska.
Another Republican source said that the vice presidential candidate's Secret Service detail and campaign advance team had already been to Nebraska to prepare for the trip, which was to have included a fundraiser for the state's Republican Party at the Omaha Press Club on Tuesday evening.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.