Tags: Kellyanne Conway | Generals | Trump | Cabinet

Conway Defends Generals: 'No Quota for Tough-Minded' People

(Fox News/"Fox & Friends")

By    |   Friday, 09 Dec 2016 10:21 AM

The nation's retired generals are "tough-minded, accomplished people," and by recruiting them for his Cabinet posts, President-elect Donald Trump is adding leaders who have "proven their mettle," senior adviser Kellyanne Conway said Friday.

"I think this is such a great way to get away from giving positions to donors," Conway told Fox News' "Fox & Friends" program, responding to complaints that the new president-elect is naming too many former military leaders to his key posts.

"These generals are served our nation. I read this as if there's a quota for the number of tough-minded accomplished people. There is not a quota for tough-minded, accomplished people for these jobs."

The complaints are coming from "the election deniers" a month after Trump won the presidency, said Conway, but she defended Trump's picks overall as being diverse "in terms of race, gender and background."

"When you talk about these generals, you have the Department of Homeland Security, National Security Adviser," said Conway. "This is also within the keeping of Donald Trump to try to get things done quickly with people who have proven their mettle, and are people who like him, are accustomed to being accountable and delivering results."

Conway said the Trump transition team is "way ahead of schedule" on its Cabinet picks, especially compared to President Barack Obama when he first won.

Meanwhile, the field of potential secretary of State picks has grown to include even more candidates, but Conway said former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani is still in the mix.

"That's obvious because the president-elect has not said publicly who is and who is not," said Conway. "You can rest assured those who have been considered are on the list moving forward. I think it's going to come down to one man's decision with whom he's most comfortable and who he thinks can work with these other Cabinet members."

Conway earlier in the day told CNN's "New Day" program that "it's very Donald Trump" to have several people in to interview for the post "and not make it a cage match between two people played out on cable TV. That would be ridiculous."

Meanwhile, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is still not Conway's first choice, but she stressed it's not her decision, and Trump gave her permission to express publicly what she'd said privately. She said she's still seeing blowback about Trump speaking with Romney.

"Obviously, Donald Trump has extended an olive branch because that's how he is," Conway said. "He said on election night or the wee hours of that Wednesday morning he would be president to all Americans, even those that did not support him. That may or may not include Gov. Romney."

Romney, like Giuliani, also remains in the mix, said Conway, and it's possible an announcement will be made next week. At the same time, she said, "it doesn't need to be pushed through."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
The nation's retired generals are "tough-minded, accomplished people," and by recruiting them for his Cabinet posts, President-elect Donald Trump is adding leaders who have "proven their mettle"...
Kellyanne Conway, Generals, Trump, Cabinet
481
2016-21-09
Friday, 09 Dec 2016 10:21 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved