Tags: jon ossoff | massive | out of state | support | house | race

Jon Ossoff Gets Massive Out-of-State Support in House Race

Jon Ossoff Gets Massive Out-of-State Support in House Race
(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

By    |   Friday, 09 June 2017 08:47 PM

Jon Ossoff, the Democrat leading the polls ahead of a special House election in Georgia, has earned nearly all of his campaign contributions in recent weeks from sources outside the state.

According to The Washington Free Beacon, Ossoff — who will face Republican Karen Handel on June 20 — has only seen 2.5 percent of his donations in the last two months come from Georgians. That means the remaining 97.5 percent, which amounts to 84,155 individual contributions, originated across state lines.

That's indicative of the race that has garnered national attention in recent months. After Republican Rep. Tom Price resigned from the House in order to begin serving as Health and Human Services secretary, Democrats have scrambled in an effort to pick up his seat.

Ossoff received the most support in the April 18 special election, but he did not meet the 50 percent minimum required to win outright. That triggered the June 20 runoff that will determine who represents Georgia's 6th district.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported this week that $36 million has been spent on the race, the most ever for a House seat.

"My opponent has more donors and more dollars coming from outside the state of Georgia," Handel said during a debate this week, the Journal-Constitution reports. "They are coming from Nancy Pelosi, California, New York, Massachusetts."

The results of a poll released Friday show Ossoff with a 7-point lead.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
Jon Ossoff, the Democrat leading the polls ahead of a special House election in Georgia, has earned nearly all of his campaign contributions in recent weeks from sources outside the state.
jon ossoff, massive, out of state, support, house, race
231
2017-47-09
Friday, 09 June 2017 08:47 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved