Presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton likely will not be prosecuted on charges related to her use of a private email server, unnamed sources told CNN
over the weekend, and following Saturday's FBI interrogation, the investigation into the scandal is likely coming to an end, a former Department of Justice spokesman said Monday.
"I think this was really the last step in the FBI's investigation, typically in a long investigation like this," former DOJ spokesman Matt Miller, who endorses Clinton's campaign, told CNN's Alisyn Camerota
Monday, noting that the key person in an investigation is typically interviewed last.
Over the weekend, Edward Mejia Davis, CNN's senior producer, posted on Twitter
that there would likely be "no charges" against Clinton, sparking outrage among Republicans, including presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump.
Sources familiar with the investigation told CNN that within the next two weeks or so, there will likely be an announcement that no charges will be brought against Clinton, as long as there is no evidence coming from her interview on Saturday with the FBI.
CNN reported previously that there would likely be no charges as investigators had not found enough evidence to warrant charges, according to law enforcement officials.
On Saturday, a Democrat close to Clinton said the FBI will likely announce its decision before the Democratic National Convention later this month.
NBC's Chuck Todd also asked Clinton, in an interview Sunday night, about the reports she wouldn't face charges, and she refused comment on the investigation's process, reports Mediaite.
"I have no knowledge of any timeline," she told Todd. "This is entirely up to the Department."
Miller on Monday noted that the FBI likely won't release transcripts from its interview with Clinton, even if she's not charged, and it's not likely the agency's questions were much different than the ones already heard.
He also does not think the Clinton campaign will move in a different direction should charges be filed against her.
"Look, we haven't seen a grand jury empanelled here, and before you could bring any charges, there would have to be a grand jury," Miller said. "You're talking about something so outside the realm of possibility, I doubt there is a campaign decision, because it's simply not going to happen."
Meanwhile, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, who endorsed Trump after dropping his own bid for the 2016 GOP nomination, told Fox News' "Fox and Friends" program that the reports remind him of a "Monty Python skit."
"Move along, there's nothing to see," Huckabee said. "That's their whole idea. There's nothing here. Let's just move on. Let's remember where the whole 'move on' movement started. It started back during the Bill Clinton scandal with Monica Lewinsky ... we know Hillary signed an affidavit saying under the penalty of perjury she turned over all of her emails and then we know she most certainly did not. How come she's going to get away with that. I guarantee you none of you guys would not get away with it. I wouldn't."
Further, he said the news about the Lynch-Clinton meeting means the investigation needs to drop Lynch "and bring in Loretta Lynn, the 'Coal Miner's Daughter,' who has more common sense than anybody in the Obama administration and I think she would do a much better job than Loretta Lynch."
Huckabee also said that if Clinton becomes president and then faces criminal charges, "it would be a disaster for the country. So I hope if Democrats really feel that this is the best they've got, they better buckle up their seat belts because it's going to be a rough ride."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.