Donald Trump said Tuesday that he had no problems with spending his own money on the presidential campaign — and he dismissed the fundraising gap with Hillary Clinton because she was "getting the money from the Wall Street guys and all the special interests."
"As far as I’m concerned, I’d be very happy to continue to self-fund," Trump told "World News Tonight"
anchor David Muir on ABC News.
"I’ll be honest, I think I could spend $50, $60, $70 million of my own money and run a wonderful campaign," he added. "Now, would I have as many ads as her? No."
The interview came after campaign finance reports showed that Trump raised $3.1 million last month, compared with more than $25 million brought in by Clinton.
The presumptive Republican nominee loaned $2.2 million to his campaign in May, according to the reports, and had a cash balance of $1.3 million for the month.
Trump has a joint fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee, and he told Muir that he expected Clinton to spend as much as $1 billion on her White House quest.
"I don’t think that kind of money is necessary," he said, noting his spending during the primaries.
"Remember this: I spent $50 million, and I won," Trump continued. "Other people that were running against me spent many times that amount, and they lost — not even close."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.