President Donald Trump's move to block certain groups of immigrants from coming into the United States during the coronavirus emergency is a "reasonable, commonsense first step toward economic recovery," Customs and Border Protection acting Commissioner Mark Morgan said Friday.
"Last year, in 2019, we had a little less than a million immigrants," Morgan said on Fox News' "Mornings with Maria."
"(Of those) 450,000 were new immigrants that had the ability to come to work. That's what this really does, focuses narrowly on that group to really help to jumpstart in the economic recovery."
Meanwhile, Morgan said that travel restrictions already in place have been expanded for another 30 days, and the administration will use commonsense approaches to when it comes time to drop the restrictions.
"I'm confident that we will do so in a reasonable, methodical way based on a multitude of perspectives that will be taken in, specifically from the medical team," said Morgan.
The same approach will be taken with reopening the nation's borders with Canada and Mexico, said Morgan.
"On the southwest border and northern border alone, because of the travel restriction of nonessential travel only, we reduced the flow by about 400,000 individuals a day," said Morgan. "That's making an impact throughout North America. Those are the kind of unprecedented actions that is the president is taking and it's working."
Morgan also on Friday said he's "very troubled" with California Gov. Gavin Newsom's call to allocate $75 million for financial help for immigrants.
"This may be a great political talking point for him, but the cartels, human smuggling organizations are going to take this," said Morgan.
"It's going to increase and be a tremendous pull factor. What this is going to do is create more exploitation and you will see more immigrants through the smuggling organizations come to this country. It's going to cost lives, not save lives."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.