An underdog GOP candidate challenging Florida Sen. Marco Rubio's bid for re-election lashed out at the incumbent's no-show in Cleveland, where Donald Trump became the party's standard-bearer Tuesday night.
"I'm here to back up Donald Trump all the way to the White House, unlike Mr. Rubio, whose afraid to take a stance," Carlos Beruff declared, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune
"He's melba toast on him," Beruff said of Rubio's lukewarm support for Trump, whom the candidate hopes to make a litmus test in the campaign, the Herald-Tribune reports.
"Rubio can't hold Trump's water," he added.
According to the Herald-Tribune, the tough-talking homebuilder is spending big to advance his campaign, though polls show Rubio with a lead over him — and last week devoted $1 million to statewide television ads.
On Tuesday, Beruff said he shelled out "another million yesterday" and plans to lay out "another million next week."
"That says I'm committed," he said, the Herald-Tribune reports.
Rubio will be addressing the convention on Wednesday night by video, Rubio campaign spokesman Michael Ahrens tells Newsmax.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.