Sex abuse claims at a migrant facility in Texas are sparking demands by Gov. Greg Abbott that it be shut down as he blames President Joe Biden for the "deplorable conditions."
The Washington Examiner said the facility in question was set up by the federal government at the Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio. It was hit by complaints alleging sexual assault, a lack of staff to properly supervise children, and accusations those at the facility are not being fed properly.
The Examiner said there are also claims that some minors are testing positive for COVID-19 and are not being kept separated from others.
"The Biden administration opened the borders and failed to plan for the influx of unaccompanied children crossing the border, and now we're faced with our worst fears — allegations of child abuse and neglect." Abbott said in a statement posted on his Twitter account.
"I am calling on the Biden administration to close this facility, and I am directing DPS (Department of Public Safety) and the Texas Rangers to immediately begin investigating these allegations. President Biden's disastrous decisions caused the crisis, and his administration must act now to protect these children, secure the border, and end the crisis."
In an accompanying tweet he said: "Biden opened the borders & failed to plan for the influx of unaccompanied minors. Now he must respond to allegations of child abuse & neglect on his watch. DPS & TX Rangers are investigating. The administration must close the facility & protect these children."
According to the San Antonio Express-News, Abbott said the complaints came from "more than one person who’s been in this facility."
And Fox News quoted Abbott as saying: "In short, this facility is a health and safety nightmare. The Biden administration is now presiding over the abuse of children.
"These problems are a byproduct of President Biden’s open border policies and the lack of planning for the fallout for those disastrous policies."
Meanwhile, the Express-News said as of Monday, there were about 1,370 boys in the facility. Their ages ranged from 13-17.
San Antonio officials who visited the facility last week said they did not see any signs of neglect.
Bexar County Commissioner Rebeca Clay-Flores has been volunteering at the facility.
"I have spoken directly with many of the wonderful, beautiful young men in this facility," Clay-Flores said Wednesday, She noted that the federal government has contracted with three local catering agencies to feed the youths three meals and two snacks a day.
Clay-Flores said children who test positive for coronavirus are immediately separated from the others and put in a different area. She also said the entire facility is well staffed.
She said the child abuse allegations need to be investigated immediately.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.