Calling Wednesday's outpouring of public and congressional support for Newsmax "heartwarming," Newsmax CEO and founder Christopher Ruddy delivered a firm message to viewers and leaders: The "political discrimination, deplatforming has to stop."
Appearing on Newsmax's "Rob Schmitt Tonight," Ruddy rejected DirecTV's silencing of Newsmax's conservative voice, after the company removed the news channel from 13 million households Tuesday at midnight ET.
DirecTV claimed their censorship move was done for "cost-cutting" reasons.
"Their idea of cost-cutting is to cut conservative channels," Ruddy told Schmitt.
"We're a highly rated channel. We don't cost a lot. We have a lot of supporters and viewers. Wouldn't you want to get rid of the 99th channel that has no rating that costs you a lot?
"No, they don't believe that. So, it's a very clear example of political discrimination. That's why we're fighting back."
Ruddy noted that AT&T's DirecTV carries 22 liberal news and information channels.
In 2021 AT&T moved to deplatform conservative channel OAN.
Instead of cutting costs, AT&T and DirecTV are boldly cutting off the freedom of speech, he said.
"This isn't about Newsmax: This is a much larger issue about free speech, about censorship, political discrimination, and the future of the country," Ruddy said. "We're seeing, basically, private companies acting to censor opposing points of view.
"This is not a carriage dispute. This is about whether Newsmax should be allowed to be treated like any other cable channel at all."
In 2021 former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and her Democrat colleagues "called for the deplatforming" of OAN, Newsmax, and Fox News, Ruddy noted, which he said has now led to the deplatforming of the two of the mere three conservative cable TV news options for DirecTV.
Newsmax is the 4th-highest-rated cable news channel in the U.S. and a top 16 channel overall, Ruddy said, citing Nielsen ratings.
"DirecTV told Newsmax that we are not entitled to anything," Ruddy continued. "They will pay us zero dollars. We're a top 4 news channel."
By comparison, DirecTV carries "far-left," antifa-backing network Vice News, Ruddy told Schmitt. He said they get a license fee despite having tiny ratings.
Action You Can Take to Fight AT&T DirecTV's Censorship:
1. If you are a DirecTV customer call them toll free at 877-763-9762 and demand they bring NEWSMAX back on air, or you can CANCEL!
- [When you speak to a live operator, let them know you are aware NEWSMAX's livestream is ending soon on other platforms, so unless you get it on DirecTV you will have to cancel their service.]
- If you are an AT&T customer for any of their products or services, call them and demand they end their censorship of NEWSMAX or you will cancel. Call AT&T toll free at 888-855-2338.
2. Call your Member of Congress or senator at 202-224-3121 and demand they stop AT&T and DirecTV's censorship of conservative media like NEWSMAX!
3. Go to our online petition and get more info at: iWantNewsmax.com.
About NEWSMAX TV:
NEWSMAX is the fastest-growing cable news channel in America!
Eric Mack has been a writer and editor at Newsmax since 2016. He is a 1998 Syracuse University journalism graduate and a New York Press Association award-winning writer.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.