Potentially ominous news for the Democrats, whose field of presidential candidates is currently led by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
Sanders is a self-proclaimed Democratic socialist, but he has a problem with more than half of registered U.S. primary voters, who say they would not vote for someone of that political stripe, according to the latest Yahoo! News/YouGov poll.
Just 35% say they would consider voting for a Democratic-socialist presidential primary candidate, while 46% say they would not. The rest of respondents were unsure.
Still, while that might sound grim on its face, the same polling sample chose Sanders over all of his Democratic presidential primary opponents in hypothetical head-to-head matchups, according to the poll:
- Sanders tops Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., by 2 points (44%-42%).
- Sanders tops former Vice President Joe Biden by 4 points (48%-44%)
- Sanders tops former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg by 15 points (53%-38%).
- Sanders tops former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg by 17 points (54%-37%).
- Sanders tops Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., by 21 points (54%-33%).
The YouGov poll for Yahoo! News surveyed 1,530 registered U.S. voters Feb. 12-13. A margin of error, typical with polls, was not given with the data.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.