Tags: Cuba | US | withdraw | staff | families | embassy | cuba

US to Withdraw Staff, Families From Embassy in Cuba

Image: US to Withdraw Staff, Families From Embassy in Cuba
(Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

By    |   Thursday, 28 September 2017 05:39 PM

The United States is getting ready to withdraw more staff and families from the embassy in Cuba in the wake of attacks that have mysteriously sickened 21 diplomats, CBS News reported.

According to the outlet, which cited two unnamed sources, an internal memo was sent to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson suggesting a drawing down of personnel in Havana.

A meeting this week between Tillerson and Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Eduardo Rodriguez Parrilla didn't convince the United States that Cuban officials were doing enough to protect U.S. diplomats, CBS News reported.

A Cuban readout of the meeting contained a complete denial the attacks were taking place, CBS News reported.

"The Cuban government has never perpetrated nor will it ever perpetrate attacks of any kind against diplomats," it read.

"The Cuban government has never permitted nor will it ever permit the use of its territory by third parties for this purpose."

The readout went on to say that Cuban authorities had so far found, "There is no evidence so far of the cause or the origin of the health disorders reported by the U.S. diplomats."

Diplomats have reported symptoms ranging from hearing loss and nausea to headaches and balance issues after the State Department said "incidents" directed at their homes which the Cuban government provides, began affecting them in late 2016. In total, the State Department says there are 21 medically confirmed cases. The last reported incident was in August.

The FBI is leading an investigation. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told CBS News that Tillerson is still reviewing his options.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
The United States is getting ready to withdraw more staff and families from the embassy in Cuba in the wake of attacks that have mysteriously sickened 21 diplomats, CBS News reported.
US, withdraw, staff, families, embassy, cuba
260
2017-39-28
Thursday, 28 September 2017 05:39 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved