Tags: Benghazi Scandal | Hillary Clinton | US | DEM 2016 | Clinton Emails

Benghazi Panel Chair: Clinton Was Issued Subpoena

Image: Benghazi Panel Chair: Clinton Was Issued Subpoena
(Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

By    |   Wednesday, 08 Jul 2015 02:38 PM

Republican lawmakers investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, released a subpoena Wednesday issued to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, refuting her claims that she was never subpoenaed.

Clinton used a private email address and a home-based server during her time at the State Department (2009-2013), and investigators on the House Select Committee on Benghazi are trying to piece together what Clinton knew at the time of the attacks.

During an interview with CNN this week, Clinton said everything she did was "permitted," including deleting thousands of emails without turning them over to the government.

"I didn't have to turn over anything. I chose to turn over 55,000 pages because I wanted to go above and beyond what was expected of me," Clinton said. "Because I knew the vast majority of everything that was official already was in the State Department system. And now I think it's kind of fun, people get a real-time, behind-the-scenes look at what I was emailing about, and what I was communicating about."

On Wednesday, the Select Committee on Benghazi released a copy of one subpoena  sent to Clinton in March asking for all documents and records related to Libya from emails she sent in 2011 and 2012.

"The committee has issued several subpoenas, but I have not sought to make them public," committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said in an emailed statement.

"I would not make this one public now, but after Secretary Clinton falsely claimed the committee did not subpoena her, I have no choice in order to correct the inaccuracy. The committee immediately subpoenaed Clinton personally after learning the full extent of her unusual email arrangement with herself, and would have done so earlier if the State Department or Clinton had been forthcoming that State did not maintain custody of her records and only Secretary Clinton herself had her records when Congress first requested them.

"The fact remains, despite when this subpoena was issued, Secretary Clinton had a statutory duty to preserve records from her entire time in office, and she had a legal duty to cooperate with and tell the truth to congressional investigators requesting her records going back to September of 2012. Yet despite direct congressional inquiry, she refused to inform the public of her unusual email arrangement. This information only came to light because of a Select Committee request, not a voluntary decision to turn over records almost two years after leaving office, records which always should have been in State's custody."

Gowdy said the timing of Clinton's decision to delete 30,000 emails she and her staff deemed personal "is curious at best."

Clinton, the Democratic front-runner in the race for president, has been dogged by the scandal most of this year. She has largely distanced herself from the media, which included her campaign keeping reporters stuck behind a moving rope line during a July Fourth parade in New Hampshire.

A video has since surfaced showing the Clintons using the same tactic in 1992.

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Republican lawmakers investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, released a subpoena Wednesday issued to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, refuting her claims that she was never subpoenaed.
US, DEM 2016, Clinton Emails
516
2015-38-08
Wednesday, 08 Jul 2015 02:38 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved