The State Department will not seek $75 million in U.S. aid that had been provided to Israel, an agency official said Tuesday.
"They're going to get the money," State Department press secretary Heather Nauert told reporters, The Washington Examiner reported.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has expressed interest in seeking the $75 million that congress allocated for Israel at the end of last year, The Washington Free Beacon reported Friday.
The move had marked a reversal of Trump administration policy, according to the reports.
In May, the White House pledged $75 million for Israel's missile defense program.
"Israel is an important, trusted ally of the United States," Nauert told reporters Tuesday. "That hasn't changed and that won't change.
"We have a strong relationship with Israel."
Earlier Tuesday, Republican Sens. Tom Cotton and Marco Rubio had written a letter urging Tillerson to not seek the return of the aid.
"Seeking the return of duly appropriated monies for Israel would be a deeply unwise action," the senators said. "It would needlessly damage the U.S.-Israel security relationship, diminish Israel's qualitative military edge in the region, and send a terrible message to allies and adversaries alike regarding the steadfastness of U.S. commitments."
Cotton represents Arkansas and Rubio, Florida. They are members of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.