Tags: Media Bias | ronan farrow | harvey weinstein | nbc | threatened | metoo

Daily Beast: NBC Threatened Farrow Over Weinstein Story

Daily Beast: NBC Threatened Farrow Over Weinstein Story
Harvey Weinstein (Dennis Van Tine/AP)

By    |   Thursday, 30 August 2018 10:41 PM

NBC told journalist Ronan Farrow his bombshell 2017 story about Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein's alleged sexual misconduct was not ready to air and he was even threatened by someone at the network when he decided to take the story elsewhere, according to a new report.

The Daily Beast reported Thursday that Farrow faced an uphill battle when he was at NBC and doing heavy reporting on the Weinstein piece, which eventually was published in The New Yorker and is credited with helping start the #MeToo movement.

Farrow, according to The Daily Beast, was threatened by NBC News general counsel Susan Weiner when he continued to pursue the Weinstein story on his own. Weiner, sources told the website, threatened to smear Farrow.

When Farrow was working on the story in 2016 and early 2017 at NBC, his bosses at the network continually told him it needed more reporting despite the fact he had several women on the record saying either Weinstein or a top-tier Hollywood producer had sexually assaulted them.

The Daily Beast also reported Farrow was under the impression in the spring of 2017 that NBC News President Noah Oppenheim, who was involved in the Weinstein story, might have been secretly passing information to Weinstein about what Farrow had uncovered.

Farrow ultimately left NBC because of its continued reluctance to air the story. It landed at The New Yorker, which published the piece in October 2017. The Daily Beast reported, between August and October, however, Weinstein had been told by NBC News that Farrow would not use reporting he had conducted at the network in his final story.

Once the story was published, there was infighting at NBC News as to who was responsible for letting Farrow take it elsewhere. Oppenheim reportedly told colleagues that NBC News chairman Andrew Lack and NBC's senior vice president for communications Mark Kornblau were ultimately to blame.

Oppenheim reportedly said, "Mark Kornblau and Andy Lack are trying to throw me under the bus when it was Andy's decision."

More than 100 women have come forward to accuse Weinstein of either sexual harassment, sexual assault, or rape. He has been charged in multiple sexual attacks.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
Journalist Ronan Farrow was threatened by someone NBC when he decided to take the story elsewhere and was told his bombshell 2017 story about Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein's alleged sexual misconduct was not ready to air, The Daily Beast reported.
ronan farrow, harvey weinstein, nbc, threatened, metoo
361
2018-41-30
Thursday, 30 August 2018 10:41 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved