Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. is getting set to ask President Donald Trump to withdraw a request for $5 billion in border wall funding and use the money instead to reduce gun violence and combat white supremacist extremism.
Schumer’s plans were first reported by Politico on Tuesday and also were detailed in a story by The Washington Post.
Schumer’s anticipated request will come after two deadly mass shootings in Texas and Ohio.
“The dual scourges of gun violence and violent white supremacist extremism in this country are a national security threat plain and simple, and it’s time the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress start treating them as such,” he said.
“Now Republicans and this administration need to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to addressing gun violence and stopping the rise of domestic terrorism, especially stemming from white supremacy.
“Democrats are prepared to work in a bipartisan fashion to respond to (FBI Director Christopher) Wray’s clarion call on a briefing call with Senate Democrats last week for additional resources to address this national security crisis on our own soil.”
The Post said it is highly unlikely Trump will agree with Schumer on the issue, but the request is designed to keep attention focused on the Republicans response to the recent shootings.
Schumer will suggest increasing funding for initiatives in the Department of Homeland Security to counter violent extremism; domestic terrorism investigations conducted by the FBI; and gun violence research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to the Post.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.