Despite calls by congressmen and other U.S. officials to release a secret section of the 9/11 Commission Report, CIA Director John Brennan has said it should not be declassified, NBC News
The 28 top-secret pages, which have been withheld from the public domain since the overall report was released in 2004, reportedly details Saudi Arabian funding for the 9/11 attacks.
Speaking on NBC's "Meet the Press," Sunday, Brennan said the document contains "uncorroborated, un-vetted" information that could fuel unfounded rumors and harm delicate U.S.-Saudi relations. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudi nationals.
The CIA director insisted the official inquiry into 9/11 thoroughly investigated the sections and that "there was no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution, or Saudi officials or individuals, had provided financial support to al-Qaida."
Pressure to open the secret files has been spearheaded by Sen. Bob Graham, the one-time chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence who was co-chair of the congressional inquiry into intelligence failures surrounding the attacks.
He told CBS's "60 Minutes" last month that the 28 pages outline a network of people, including elements in the Saudi Arabian government, he believes supported the hijackers in the U.S.
Congressmen are meanwhile considering a bill that would permit terrorism victims to sue foreign countries that supported attacks in the U.S. The Obama administration opposes the bill, and the Saudi government has threatened to sell off hundreds of billions of dollars in American assets if it passes, according to Fox News.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.