Law enforcement agencies are deploying unprecedented countermeasures in an effort to prevent a large truck attack at Donald Trump's inauguration on Friday, WTOP radio in Washington, D.C. reports.
Truck attacks killed dozens in Nice, France and Berlin last year. Now Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy said the threat environment for this inauguration is "different" from previous ones.
"I think people today are willing to do things they may not have been willing to do in the past," Clancy is quoted by the radio station.
"Every night I wake up and I wonder do we have some issue covered."
Clancy is not the only one concerned.
"We know that this (Washington region) is a high-profile [terror] target. It's been attacked in the past, historically," WTOP quotes Paul Abbate, the FBI's executive assistant director for the Criminal, Cyber, Response and Services Branch.
Secret Service agents have conducted nonstop training exercises designed to counter any attacks during the inaugural, WTOP reports.
This year, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson said, "The hard vehicle perimeter will be heavily fortified by trucks, dumpsters, buses and the like, given the current threat environment."
Meanwhile, a group of protestors are reportedly plotting to "take down" the White House website on Friday, Heat Street reports.
The plan was announced through PR Newswire, according to the website.
"On Jan. 20, hundreds of thousands of Americans are going to Washington, D.C. to march in protest of the inauguration of Donald Trump," the statement read.
"Millions more around the country will be joining the cause from home. If you can't make it to Washington D.C. on Inauguration Day, you can still participate by occupying whitehouse.gov online," the statement read.
The group released its plan on how it intends to "occupy" the White House website during the inauguration.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.