Hillary Clinton on Wednesday accepted "responsibility" for her decision to use a private email account during her four years as secretary of state, saying that "it clearly wasn't the best choice."
"I know people have raised questions about my email use as secretary of state, and I understand why," Clinton told reporters at a campaign stop in Des Moines, Iowa, The New York Times reports.
"I get it. So here’s what I want the American people to know: My use of personal email was allowed by the State Department. It clearly wasn’t the best choice. I should’ve used two emails: one personal, one for work.
"I take responsibility for that decision, and I want to be as transparent as possible, which is why I turned over 55,000 pages, why I’ve turned over my server, why I’ve agreed to — in fact, been asking to — and have finally gotten a date to testify before a congressional committee in October," Clinton said.
The inspector general for the nation's intelligence community has told Congress that at least four of the emails that had been on Clinton's private server contained classified information. Republicans have long demanded that the Democratic front-runner turn over all of her State Department emails and server for an independent review.
Clinton is expected to testify on her email use before the select House committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks on Oct. 22.
"I’m confident that this process will prove that I never sent, nor received, any email that was marked classified," she said, according to the Times report.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.