Tags: Trump Administration | Donald Trump | Mexico | ford | focus | production | carrier

Ford Moves Focus Production to Mexico: 'This Isn't a Carrier Situation'

Ford Moves Focus Production to Mexico: 'This Isn't a Carrier Situation'

Ford CEO Mark Fields (Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

By    |   Friday, 02 December 2016 07:09 PM

A day after President-elect Donald Trump warned companies of "consequences" if they fled the United States, Ford Motor Co. said Friday that it would continue its plan to shift small-car production to a new $1.6 billion factory being built in Mexico.

"We have made the decision to move the Focus out, and we're making that investment now," Ford CEO Mark Fields told The Wall Street Journal. "When you look at moving the Focus out of our Michigan assembly plant, that’s to make room for new products — zero jobs affected, zero jobs impacted.

"This isn't a Carrier situation," Fields added, referring to Trump's announcement Thursday that the air-conditioner manufacturer would keep its plant — and 1,100 jobs — in Indianapolis. "In our business, it's a long-lead investment."

At the Carrier plant, Trump vowed that "companies are not going to leave the United States any more without consequences."

Carrier said last year that it would move its operation to Mexico, displacing 1,400 workers.

In exchange for remaining in the U.S., United Technologies, which owns Carrier, will receive $7 million in tax breaks over the next decade. The company also will invest $16 million in upgrading the factory.

Trump has slammed Ford, based in Dearborn, Mich., over its Mexican investments for as long as 18 months.

During the campaign, the Republican nominee repeatedly said that if elected he would not allow Ford to open a new plant in Mexico and would slap hefty tariffs on any vehicles made there.

In April 2015, Ford said that it would invest $2.5 billion to build two new plants in Mexico, adding a total of 3,800 jobs.

Earlier this year, Ford said it will invest $1.6 billion more in Mexico for small-car production to start in 2018.

In September, the company confirmed that all of the company's small-car production would leave U.S. plants for Mexico by 2019, but that no plants would be closed as a result.

Ford has repeatedly said that no American jobs would be lost in the move — and that the company would still produce two new vehicles at a plant in the Detroit area that had built the small cars.

Earlier this month, the No. 2 automaker said that it would keep making its Lincoln MKC small-utility vehicle at the Louisville Assembly plant in Kentucky.

In his Journal interview on Friday, Fields reiterated that no American jobs would be lost in the Focus move to Mexico, saying that it was being done in part to keep vehicle prices in line with consumer expectations.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
A day after President-elect Donald Trump warned companies of "consequences" if they fled the United States, Ford Motor Co. said Friday that it would continue its plan to shift small-car production to a new $1.6 billion factory being built in Mexico.
ford, focus, production, carrier
418
2016-09-02
Friday, 02 December 2016 07:09 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved