Tags: Donald Trump | department of justice | j20 | website | subpoena | dreamhost | inauguration

DOJ Drops IP Log Request for Anti-Trump Protest Site

Image: DOJ Drops IP Log Request for Anti-Trump Protest Site
(AP Images)

By    |   Wednesday, 23 August 2017 01:58 PM

The U.S. Justice Department is now saying it is uninterested in IP logs that revealed visitors to a website that was used in planning a protest during the inauguration of President Donald Trump.

The website host that was given the request, DreamHost, has said the warrant for the 1.3 million IP logs was too broad and would have required the company to provide "all information available to us" about the site, DisruptJ20.org.

"That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution's First Amendment. That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone's mind," the group wrote in a blog post earlier in August.

U.S. Attorney Channing Phillips wrote that the government does not want those 1.3 million records. He said in a reply brief that the government did not intend for the warrant to be so broad, but did not know how much information DreamHost had until they noted their objections.

"These additional facts were unknown to the government at the time it applied for and obtained the warrant; consequently, the government could not exclude from the scope of the warrant what it did not know existed," according to Phillips in the reply brief.

The Justice Department is now asking to make the information request in the warrant more specific, according to Phillips' brief.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is helping DreamHost in the case, slammed the Justice Department when asked by Gizmodo for a comment.

"I am not surprised, to be perfectly honest . . . before it was more or less a dragnet and a witch hunt and now it's just a witch hunt," said Mark Rumold, Electronic Frontier Foundation staff attorney, in Gizmodo's report.

Prosecutors sought the IP records after indicting more than 200 people on riot charges after windows were broken and cars were damaged at the inauguration. Prosecutors aim to prove that the demonstrators planned to start a riot beforehand, according to The Daily Beast.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
The U.S. Justice Department is now saying it is uninterested in IP logs that revealed visitors to a website that was used in planning a protest during the inauguration of President Donald Trump.
department of justice, j20, website, subpoena, dreamhost, inauguration, protest
340
2017-58-23
Wednesday, 23 August 2017 01:58 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved