Congress has canceled next week's recess as the partial government shutdown drags on, The Washington Examiner reports.
The shutdown reached its 25th day Tuesday with no end in sight, making it the longest in history, as President Donald Trump and Democrats will not budge on funding for a border wall. Trump wants $5.7 billion to build a structure along the U.S.-Mexico border, but Democrats have only offered about $1.5 billion.
"If the government is not open, we will not have a recess," House Democratic Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., told reporters. "That does not mean we will be here every day, but it does mean that we would be here and that members will be on 24-hour notice that they may be recalled at any point in time we effect the opening of government."
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., earlier Tuesday said he had not spoken to Trump since their tumultuous White House meeting last week.
Trump met with congressional leaders including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Schumer last Wednesday, and walked out of the meeting, calling it a "waste of time."
Schumer said he will meet with Trump "anytime he wants."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.