Tags: Cities | World | Security | Precautions | New Years Eve

Major Cities Around the World Taking Extra Precautions for New Year's Eve

Image: Major Cities Around the World Taking Extra Precautions for New Year's Eve
(Getty Images)

By    |   Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 10:53 AM

The world is ringing in the New Year among heightened fears of terror attacks that have led to some displays being canceled, while New York officials say their security measures will ensure safe surroundings while the ball drops.

On Wednesday, a New Year's Eve fireworks display ended up being canceled in Brussels over fears there would be an attack, reports NBC News.

In New York City, though, the party will go on, with an increased security detail that includes 6,000 police officers being deployed to Times Square, where one million revelers are expected.

The added security measures will include officers with radiation detectors, long guns, and bomb-sniffing dogs.

Further, partygoers and their bags of supplies will be gone over with both magnetometers and hand wands, as they go through several checkpoints. Law enforcement officers will also patrol by water around the Manhattan location, as well as in the air.

There have been threats on "soft targets" in Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D. C., reports the Washington Examiner, with President Barack Obama receiving a briefing on the issue before he left for his two-week holiday vacation in Hawaii.

Law enforcement officials on both the local and federal level say they're ready, and the FBI will man 24-hour command centers in all three of the cities, with agents both in uniform and undercover.

"We are ready," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday in a press conference, calling his city "the best prepared city in the country to prevent terrorism and to deal with any event should it occur."

Overseas, cities in Belgium, Turkey, and Bangladesh have also gotten threats.

Just hours after the decision was reached to cancel the event in Brussels, a tenth suspect, a 22-year-old Belgian identified only as Ayoub B. was arrested and charged in connection with the Nov. 13 Paris attacks, reports NBC. No weapons were found in the raid, but 10 cell phones were seized.

Two of the suicide bombers involved in the Paris attacks had been living in Belgium.

In Paris, security will be even heavier this New Year's Eve, with some 11,000 police officers on patrol, an increase from last year of  2,000 officers. Further, people in Paris will not be allowed to sell or use any combustible products like firecracker or sparkler, and in some areas, champagne will have to flow from plastic bottles, as glass ones will not be allowed.

Further, there will be no fireworks display on the Champs-Elysees this year, as it has been canceled after the attacks where 130 people died.

In London, 3,000 police officers will be on the streets, with more carrying guns in a move that doesn't usually happen in the British capital.

Turkish officials, meanwhile, said on Wednesday they detained two suspected ISIS militants and disrupted a plan to bomb New Year's Eve celebrations in Ankara and detained two suspected ISIS militants. 

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
The world is ringing in the New Year among heightened fears of terror attacks that have led to some displays being canceled, while New York officials say their security measures will ensure safe surroundings while the ball drops.
Cities, World, Security, Precautions, New Years Eve
480
2015-53-31
Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 10:53 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved