As Democrats struggle to come to terms with the presidential loss to Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton was left with no choice but to accept defeat.
In a post-mortem after defeat, Democrats believe their chance was undone by the one controversy Clinton could never escape – emails. Now what’s in store for her is more pitiful – the wreckage of her party, campaign and growing scandals.
Here are 7 reasons why Clinton lost the election:
1. Lack of trust among voters: One major problem that Clinton faced was that she was unable to gain the trust of voters, says The Irish Times. Paid speeches to Goldman Sachs, questionable business connections involving her family charity, and other controversies revealed from leaked emails left many Americans doubting Clinton’s sincerity.
2. FBI investigation: The FBI claiming it had discovered new emails and would reopen investigations against Clinton was a turning point for her. The New York Times says that, from the start, the investigative agency put out details in such a manner that made it appear that Clinton was above the law — something that got voters thinking.
3. Bad economy and trade deals: Many Americans were not sold on Clinton’s proposals for improving the economy of the nation. Stagnant wage levels and soaring inequality were some of the persistent problems faced during President Barack Obama’s rule that were felt by many voters. During his campaigns, Trump successfully convinced them to believe this was caused by bad trade deals and a rigged economy, according to the Guardian.
4. Nothing new in Clinton’s policies: Clinton spent all her time and resources just to promote herself, ignoring that what voters would be looking at was the role she would play as a leader, Politifact states.
5. Misguided polls: Almost all polls gave Clinton a comfortable lead over Trump. Every poll except IBD/TIPP said Trump was winning by 2 percentage points. Most pollsters may have not have given enough weight to the avid Trump supporters, according to The Washington Post.
6. Promise to appoint liberal Supreme Court judges: Clinton vowed to name liberal judges to the Supreme Court where they would form a majority to further weaken the Constitution's protections of civil liberties, according to Bloomberg News. This, perhaps, hurt her, as voters may have felt their rights would be threatened.
7. Clinton Foundation scandal: Though FBI director James Comey announced Sunday in a letter to lawmakers that his agency will not change its July decision not to recommend an indictment for Hillary Clinton over her private email server, a probe into possible pay-for-play influence involving her Clinton Foundation continues, according to Fox News.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.