A woman went blind after catching a flesh-eating bacteria in her eye, according to a CNN affiliate in Dallas.
reports that Brittany Williams was competing in her first mud run race two weeks ago in Dallas when she started having pain in her eye.
"My eye started hurting, like maybe I've got mud or some debris in there," she said. By the next morning, she said she was blind in her left eye.
"When I opened my eye, it was just like white," Williams said. "The whole room was white."
She spent a week in the hospital racking up a $100,000 bill for an operation to have the bacteria surgically removed from her eye. Her family is raising money online for treatment that keeps the bacteria from spreading further.
"You have to stay awake, and they like take scissors and cut. I know, it's really gross." Williams said.
© 2022 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.