Planned Parenthood said it raised more than $3 million in the three days after the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation said it would no longer fund women’s health services at more than a dozen of the organization’s clinics.
Although Komen officials later reversed that decision – in the wake of an onslaught of criticism – an emergency fund Planned Parenthood created last week pulled in about five times the $600,000 in funding the Komen Foundation provides, organization officials said.
“The outpouring of support online for Planned Parenthood and women in need of breast cancer screenings has been nothing short of astonishing, and because of it, the Planned Parenthood Breast Health Fund has received more than $3 million from thousands of people across the country in only three days,” Planned Parenthood said, in a statement on its website.
Cecile Richards, Planned Parenthood president, said the organization received $400,000 from 6,000 donors as of Feb. 1 and more came in over the weekend. Three large donors also provided funding: The Amy and Lee Fikes' Foundation, run by the head of closely held Bonanza Oil Co. in Dallas, pledged $250,000; New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he would match the next $250,000; and Credo, a mobile-phone company, promised $200,000.
The Komen Foundation initially decided to discontinue grants for 16 of 19 local Planned Parenthood affiliates, but quickly reversed itself after critics and clinic supporters filled the Internet with comment, criticism and petitions.