Jock itch is a skin condition caused by fungal infection. The genitals, buttocks, and inner thighs usually get affected with jock itch. Jock itch is a fungal infection of the groin and adjacent area. This fungal infection is also known as tinea cruris. Jock itch is more common in hot and humid conditions. More men as compared to women get affected with this fungal infection. Jock itch causes chafed, painful, and itchy skin. Itchy skin caused by this fungal infection becomes red and brown.
Most Effective Treatment of Jock Itch
Antifungal cream is one of the effective treatments for jock itch. Creams work better for treatments of itchy skin than sprays. A strong cream may be prescribed by the doctor in severe cases. Creams are also beneficial in preventing this fungal infection from recurring in future. Antifungal cream including Miconazole, Econazole, Ciclopirox, and many more are useful in the treatment of this fungal infection. Antifungal creams can be applied two times on a daily basis for a period of two to four weeks. If over-the-counter cream is not effective, you may visit a doctor who may recommend a stronger cream.
- Washing the affected area with soap and water helps in the treatment of fungal infection. After washing the affected area, dry it properly. Do not use hydrogen peroxide as it can worsen the fungal infection and cause skin irritation.
- Antifungal ointment or lotion can help in the treatment of skin infection. It is useful in treating the rashes occurred due to infection.
- Application of dry powder over the skin affected with fungal infection is one of the helpful treatments of jock itch. Be careful not to overuse as it may cause irritation.
- Taking a bath regularly helps in the treatment of jock itch. It also prevents further fungal infection. One should always take a bath after exercising or working out.
- Wearing loose clothes can be helpful in the treatment as it helps in preventing further infection. Wearing tight clothes can worsen the skin condition.
- Jock itch patients should avoid sharing towels and clothes with others. They should not wear wet swimsuits for a long time. Synthetic clothes that may affect the skin should be avoided. Natural fibers such as cotton are best preferred since they do not have adverse effect on the skin.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.