It is amazing to learn that centenarians,
or people who live for more than a century, share something in common. Many agencies like Gerontology Research Group
and Guinness World Records
work on validating the age of people. Nicoya is an isolated place at Costa Rica that has the lowest rate of cancers, and the maximum number of super centenarians
of the world is Nicoyans. While interviewing some centenarians
about their health secret
to good health
and long life
, many astonishing facts have come up. The important ones are as follows:
1. Do Exercise daily. Denver resident, Mekey Yetashawork, 103, walks about a mile and recommends exercising everyday for fitness and longevity. Jeanne Calment continued to ride her bicycle up until her 100th birthday. Whether it is a contemporary exercise, like swimming, yoga, Pilates, or aerobics, or unconventional ones like bicycling or doing kitchen and garden work, the key to health and longevity is keeping physically active. The attitude should be, ‘Until I die, I should keep moving.’
2. Rest your belly. Mekey Yetashawork shares another health secret as eating less and resting your belly for a long life. This is very important to have a good appetite and a strong digestion for health and longevity. Jiroemon Kimura also revealed his health secret for a long life as eating less. Light vegan diet has always been recommended for a healthy long life.
3. Pray. Keeping calm and being spiritual have been the health secrets of many centenarians worldwide. Praying relieves stress and helps focus on maintaining good health and leading a purposeful life.
4. Keep active social life. Mercado claimed that his sense of humor was probably responsible for his long life. He would tell jokes and humorous anecdotes almost to the end of his days. Nicoyans also recommend focusing on family and friends for longevity.
5. Have a good sleep. About six to eight hours of sleep daily is the key health secret to a long life. Nicoyans, known for longevity, religiously follow the saying, “Early to bed and early to rise keeps a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.”
6. Have positive attitude towards life. Dr. Laila Denmark, Helen Mulligan, and Barbara Borody, all three centenarians, recommend having a positive attitude towards life, which in turn, would help with longevity and good health. Do what you love and love what you do to avoid unwanted stress. This paves the way for a healthy long life. Nicoyans, known for their sound health and long life, find a reason to live, which makes them helpful to others.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.