Tags: thanksgiving | deadly | pets

Thanksgiving Can Be Deadly for Pets

Thanksgiving Can Be Deadly for Pets
(Jason Ondreicka/Dreamstime.com)

By    |   Wednesday, 14 November 2018 11:17 AM

Thanksgiving is a special holiday that brings together family and friends, but it can also pose serious health hazards for pets. While overindulging may be unhealthy for humans, it can be even worse for pets, says the American Veterinary Medical Association. Fatty foods are hard for animals to digest, poultry bones can damage your pet’s digestive tract and holiday sweets may contain ingredients that are poisonous to pets.

“The largest number of cases of vomiting, diarrhea and toxicities, ranging from moderate to severe, generally present the day after Thanksgiving,” Dr. Lesley Hack, medical director of Boca Veterinary Clinic, in Florida, tells Newsmax.

Be vigilant to ensure that the holiday is drama free for your four-legged pals with no trips to the vet or nasty carpet stains!

Here are some tips from the AVMA:

*Keep the feast on the table—not under it. Eating turkey or turkey skin—even a small amount—can cause a life-threatening condition in pets called pancreatitis. Many foods that are healthy for people are poison to pets, including onions, raisins and grapes.

*No pie or other desserts for your pooch. Chocolate can be harmful to pets even though many dogs find it tempting. The artificial sweetener xylitol which is commonly used in gum and sugar-free baked goods also can be deadly if consumed by dogs or cats.

*Yeast dough can be dangerous. Eating the dough can cause painful gas and potentially deadly bloating.

*Put the trash away where your pet cannot get to it. A turkey carcass sitting out on the carving table, or left in a trash container that is easily opened, could be deadly for your family pet. Dispose of turkey carcasses and bones-- and anything else used to tie or wrap the meat—in a covered, tightly secured trash bag placed inside a closed trash container outdoors or behind a closed, locked door.

*Be careful with decorate plants. Some flowers and festive plants can be toxic to pets. These include amaryllis, Baby’s Breath, Sweet William, some ferns, hydrangeas and more.

*Take quick action. If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned or has eating something it shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian or local emergency clinic immediately. You may also call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435. Signs of pet distress include: sudden changes in behavior, depression, pain, vomiting, or diarrhea.

*Reduce stress. If you are hosting a party or have overnight guests, be aware that if your pet is shy or excitable, it may become stressed with all the noise and activity. If you know your dog or cat is nervous when people visit your home, put him/her in another room or crate with a favorite toy. This will reduce the emotional stress on your pets and protect your guests from possible injury.

*Watch the exits. Even if your pet is comfortable around guests, make sure you watch them closely, especially when people are entering or leaving your home. While you’re welcoming hungry guests and collecting coats, your pet may make a break for the open door and become lost.

© 2018 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Health-News
Thanksgiving is a special holiday that brings together family and friends, but it can also pose serious health hazards for pets.
thanksgiving, deadly, pets
504
2018-17-14
Wednesday, 14 November 2018 11:17 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved