Tags: High Blood Pressure | Stroke | energy | drink | brain | bleed

Man Suffers Stroke After Consuming Energy Drink

Man Suffers Stroke After Consuming Energy Drink

By    |   Wednesday, 23 November 2016 01:29 PM

A man suffered a brain bleed within 15 minutes of consuming a popular energy drink, a new study recounts.

The case of the 57-year-old man  is the first known person to have suffered a hemorrhagic stroke — a brain bleed — following consumption of an energy drink, the case article says.

According to the article, the man was seen at a local emergency department suffering tingling and numbness in his right arm, along with shaky gait and movement.

He was transferred to the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s stroke unit.

A CT scan revealed a small hemorrhage near the left thalamus, which situated between the cerebral cortex and the midbrain.

“The man reported that his symptoms began about 15 minutes after drinking an energy drink, the first time he had consumed this particular product, as he was about to do yard work,” says Dr. Anand Venkatraman, lead author of the study, which appears in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine.

Venkatraman says the drink contains a high level of caffeine, along with a variety of other ingredients, many of which are associated with increases in blood pressure.

“For a patient who may be at risk for vascular disease, this increase in blood pressure could be potentially dangerous, as a rise in blood pressure can affect an already weakened blood vessel to the point that it ruptures, he says.

Ingredients in the drinks that are suspected to influence the sympathetic nervous system include β-phenylethylamine hydrochloride, yohimbine and green tea extract.

“These ingredients are supplements and, as such, are not regulated by the government to the same degree that medications are,” Venkatraman said.

“We don’t have good information on dosing for some of these supplements. We don’t know how much is too much, for example, especially in populations with varying degrees of risk.”

Another issue is serving size. The manufacturer’s label says the bottle contains two servings, but the patient reported that he drank the full 8 oz. bottle at one time, a behavior that Venkatraman believes is common.

In this case, the patient had a history of elevated blood pressure and was at increased risk for vascular disease.

Several months after the incident, the patient reported that he still had some residual effects from the incident.

The man survived, but reported he still had some residual effects several months later.

“I am not anti-energy drink,” Venkatraman says. “In fact, I use them myself on occasion. But I strongly urge consumers to read the label and be informed. Don’t take unnecessary risks with your health. There is potential for a serious outcome,” he adds.


 

© 2019 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Health-News
A medical journal study details the case of a man who suffered a stroke after consuming an energy drink.
Stroke, energy, drink, brain, bleed
603
2016-29-23
Wednesday, 23 November 2016 01:29 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved