Kiwis are small superfoods with mighty health benefits. They are low in calories but have the highest vitamin C content of any other commonly eaten fruit. Kiwis come in a variety of colors, but experts say that the golden kiwi has double the fiber and is much sweeter than the green-colored variety.
According to Good Housekeeping, their health benefits are incredible:
- Healthy hair and skin. Because of the vitamin C, kiwi fruits stimulate collagen production to help keep your skin firm and your hair strong and healthy.
- Immune support. Two small kiwis have more vitamin C than a medium-sized orange to boost your immune system to ward off disease, according to Good Housekeeping. Just one cup of kiwi provides 273% of your daily-recommended value of vitamin C.
- Digestive support. The high fiber content found in kiwis prevents constipation and helps keep the digestive system functioning regularly. They also contain an enzyme called actinidin that can help break down protein, according to Healthline.
- Weight loss. Kiwis have only 90 calories each and are rich in fiber, which helps you stay fuller, longer.
- Anti-aging. The powerful antioxidants in kiwis can help ward off free radical damage to our cells and support healthy aging while preventing or delaying the onset of chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease, according to Good Housekeeping.
- Asthma. A study showed that kiwis have a beneficial effect on the lungs and can help reduce wheezing in children, according to Healthline.
- Blood pressure support. A 2014 study found evidence that the active substances in three kiwis lowered blood pressure more than an apple a day.
- Protect vision. Macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss. Research shows that eating 3 kiwis daily slashed the risk of developing this disease by 36%, thanks to its high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.