Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. But that doesn’t mean you have to join a gym, sign up a personal trainer, and buy a whole new workout wardrobe. After a long winter, you can get back into shape for free with these seven healthy lifestyle hacks.
1. Do Tabata training. Also called high-intensity interval training, this workout style uses short bursts — just a few minutes at a time — of high-intensity exercise. It’s easy to do at home. Just perform any exercise you like, such as squats, push-ups, or weight lifting, as hard as you can for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat seven more times.
2. Get fit outdoors. It’s the perfect free place to get in shape. Walk for a mile every day. Check out the nearest city park or maybe take your dog out for a jog. This may also be a good way to get to know your neighborhood and get some fresh air at the same time. If you live near a beach, the sand is great for resistance workouts. From squats and lunges to leisurely walks and running, working out in the sand will increase calorie burn and muscle usage.
3. No sugar of any sort, period. You’ll lose weight and bloat, and save money by cutting out the sugary snacks. Cut out soda, both regular and diet. Regular soda is nothing but a liquid candy bar. People who drink artificially sweetened sodas don’t lose weight, they gain it. Drink tap water — it’s free.
4. Eat more healthy fats. Foods such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, salmon, and almond butter are better than processed foods full of bad fats. Healthy fats make you feel full and help with weight loss.
5. Get off your chair. With our lifestyles becoming increasingly sedentary, sometimes the easiest way to get back into shape is to just look for ways to move more and sit less.
6. Improve your gut health. Avoid processed foods and gluten, and eat more fiber. Aim to have a good balance of bacteria in your gut, leading you to have less inflammation and weight loss. The gut is the center of your health universe. Gut health also improves brain health.
7. Get a good night’s sleep. When you’re well-rested, you look and feel well and can better resist the temptation of junk food.
© 2024 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.