Proper fueling — and refueling — requires more than just food and fluids. Endurance athletes should know that many of their bodily functions depend on maintaining adequate level of electrolytes, especially in muscle and nervous system tissue.
Therefore, consistent electrolyte support is key at all stages — from preparation to performance.
The right rehydration supplements are scientifically designed to help support fluid balance; supply sodium and potassium to help replenish the electrolytes lost during exercise; deliver key electrolytes to help replace those lost through sweating during exercise, activity, or hot weather conditions; and support hydration during exercise.
Whether you choose to consume your electrolytes in liquid form, a capsule, or in a powder that you mix into water, they should contain the following ingredients:
1. Glutamine — the most abundant amino acid in the plasma and muscle of humans — protects muscle tissue and supports immune function during periods of immune and muscular stress, and supports protein synthesis and the integrity of intestinal mucosal cell
2. Taurine — an amino acid that helps regulate the level of water and mineral salts in the blood — also keeps potassium and magnesium inside the cell while keeping excessive sodium out
3. L-carnitine drives fatty acids to the inner layer of the mitochondria where they are oxidized for cell energy, while also up-regulating the androgen receptor content and improving recovery from workouts
4. L-carnosine — an amino acid that helps fight fatigue — has antioxidant properties, and helps minimize damage to tissue found in fast-twitch muscle fibers
5. B complex vitamins for energy production
6. Chromium for blood sugar and lipid control
7. Citric acid to increase sodium and water absorption.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.