Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
Drs. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen
Dr. Mehmet Oz is host of the popular TV show “The Dr. Oz Show.” He is a professor in the Department of Surgery at Columbia University and directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

Dr. Mike Roizen is chief medical officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, an award-winning author, and has been the doctor to eight Nobel Prize winners and more than 100 Fortune 500 CEOs.

Dr. Mehmet Oz,Dr. Mike Roizen

Tags: Protect | Yourself | From | Silent | Killer | Carbon | Monoxide

Protect Yourself From Silent Killer Carbon Monoxide

Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:05 AM EST

When Burt Lancaster boarded his submarine in the 1958 movie "Run Silent, Run Deep," he used sonar to hunt for the enemy. But when it comes to protecting your family from carbon monoxide — a stealthy hazard that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention calls "the silent killer" — we recommend tracking this menace with carbon monoxide detectors on every level in your home and in every bedroom.

Carbon monoxide, CO, is a tasteless, odorless gas. Poorly vented kerosene and gas space heaters, leaking chimneys, furnaces, gas stoves, water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces are common sources. And CO can backdraft into the house from automobile exhaust in an attached garage. When you open the door from the house to the garage, the fumes get sucked into the house! Every year in the U.S., CO poisoning sends 20,000 people to the emergency room; more than 450 people die.

If there's a slow accumulation, CO can trigger depression, confusion, memory loss, and even heart damage. Or it can overwhelm you before you know it, causing sudden headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, or worse.

Your action plan: Have your heating systems (furnaces, flues and chimneys) inspected, cleaned, and tuned-up annually. Repair leaks promptly, and keep records of maintenance and repairs. Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawl spaces, sheds, or similar enclosed areas — and make sure there's plenty of fresh air. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can build up quickly and linger for hours, even after a generator is turned off. So, install and check those carbon monoxide detectors, and stay safe this winter.

© 2012 Michael Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet Oz, M.D.
Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.

© HealthDay

Protect your home and family from the silent killer carbon monoxide by cleaning your heating system yearly and installing monitors on every floor and bedroom of your house.
Tuesday, 11 December 2012 08:05 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
Find Your Condition
Get Newsmax Text Alerts

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved