Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
Drs. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen
Dr. Mehmet Oz is host of the popular TV show “The Dr. Oz Show.” He is a professor in the Department of Surgery at Columbia University and directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program and New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

Dr. Mike Roizen is chief medical officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, an award-winning author, and has been the doctor to eight Nobel Prize winners and more than 100 Fortune 500 CEOs.

Dr. Mehmet Oz,Dr. Mike Roizen

Tags: Control Diabetes Through High-Intensity Exercise | type-2 diabetes | prediabetes | exercise and diabetes | exercise and glucose levels | blood sugar levels and exercise | diabetes complications

Got Diabetes? Make Time for High-Intensity Exercise

Tuesday, 06 November 2012 08:48 AM EST

Not since the early 1980s, when Jane Fonda barked out "Feel the burn!" (remember those ankle-hugging leg warmers?) has there been so much interest in exercise intensity. With the epidemic of Type-2 diabetes and prediabetes (there's 25 million and 79 million of each in the U.S. alone), it's time to revisit that intensity with an innovative exercise routine that helps you move it, lose it, and prevent and control diabetes!

Turns out just 2.5 minutes of concentrated effort (call it hammering), followed by a protracted cool down, burns an extra 200 calories a day. That adds up big time! Even if you have diabetes and are out of shape, 12 weeks of regular exercise (with some hammer time) can up your fitness level 40 percent and get your blood sugar levels into line.

We love a walking routine that takes you through a fast pace (say 130 steps a minute) followed by 10-15 minutes of a steady stride of 100 steps per minute. You also can follow that pattern while cycling, jogging, swimming — maybe even in the bedroom. Talk about amplifying your well-being!

Want more immediate results? Combine your new exercise routine with Dr. Oz's 90/10 kick-start plan for weight loss: For 1 week, make your diet 90 percent veggies, fruits, seeds and nuts, beans and whole grains; the remaining 10 percent from lean protein, low-fat dairy, and healthy oils. Losing 10 percent of your body weight can normalize glucose levels and reduce your risk of diabetes, prediabetes, and all those related complications. Feel the burn!

© 2012 Michael Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet Oz, M.D.
Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.


If you have diabetes or are prediabetic, high-intensity exercise can help you burn calories, lose weight, and control blood-glucose levels.
Control Diabetes Through High-Intensity Exercise,type-2 diabetes,prediabetes,exercise and diabetes,exercise and glucose levels,blood sugar levels and exercise,diabetes complications,prediabetic
Tuesday, 06 November 2012 08:48 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
Find Your Condition
Get Newsmax Text Alerts

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved