Tags: swallowing | bug | dangerous

Should You Worry If You Swallow a Bug?

Tuesday, 28 July 2015 01:04 PM

Can swallowing a bug be dangerous? The unsatisfying answer: It depends, according to health experts.

Bobbi Pritt, a microbiologist and director of the Clinical Parasitology Laboratory at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., tells the Wall Street Journal swallowing an insect is harmless, but some can be dangerous.

In most cases, eating a bug isn’t cause for worry, she says. In general, your body will digest spiders, mites and ticks, and insects such as gnats, flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and bedbugs, “just like any other food,” she says. “Eating a bug now and then probably won’t be a problem for most.”

But certain biting or stinging bugs can be a problem if swallowed, including bees, wasps, fire ants, and some types of caterpillars.

“Usually eating one will just cause mild pain and localized swelling if it bites or stings you,” she says. But for people who are allergic, eating one that then stings you can lead to breaking out in hives; swelling of the face, throat or mouth; difficulty breathing; dizziness; a drop in blood pressure; and even cardiac arrest.

© 2019 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Diet-And-Fitness
Swallowing a bug isn't usually dangerous, but certain insects and spiders can pose risks, particularly those that sting and bite.
swallowing, bug, dangerous
179
2015-04-28
Tuesday, 28 July 2015 01:04 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved