One of the biggest problems many people face when they diet is feeling hungry. The solution, says Health.com, is to eat filling, stick-to-your-ribs foods.
"Foods that contain fiber, protein, and plant-based fat tend to be the most satiating," Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD, tells Health.com. These nutrients contained in these types of foods slow digestion and make you feel fuller longer.
The foods contained on Sass's list of filling foods that help you lose weight aren't uncommon or magical. Instead, they're whole foods that are rich in nutrients. One study found that these healthy foods increased the body's ability to burn calories by 50 percent when compared to processed foods.
The following foods are on Sass's list:
• Potatoes. Potatoes ranked No. 1 on the satiety index. Even though they are high in carbohydrates, they contain resistant starch.
• Apples and pears. In addition to the high fiber content, a recent study found that Granny Smith apples contain particular bacteria that benefit our digestive system.
• Almonds. Studies have found that snacking on almonds keeps you feeling satisfied throughout the day and helps you eat less at meals.
• Lentils. Lentils have been a healthy choice for thousands of years, and a recent study found that volunteers who ate lentils felt 31 percent fuller after eating than those eating bread and pasta. In a 2014 study, participants reported feeling as satisfied as if they had eaten beef.
• Cacao nibs. These crunchy snacks contain the mood-booster serotonin in addition to high levels of antioxidants and the anti-stress mineral magnesium.
• Kimchi. This fermented food, made mainly of nappa cabbage and other vegetables, provides a lot of probiotics to keep your gut happy, which scientists also believe may reduce fat.
• Greek yogurt. One study found that people who ate high-protein Greek yogurt after lunch stayed satisfied longer than participants who didn't eat yogurt and also ate less at dinner than the other volunteers.
• Eggs. Eggs provide a complete protein, and a study published in the journal Nutrition Research found that people who ate eggs felt less hungry for a full day.
• Beef. Lean cuts of beef are high in protein and provide all of the amino acids, making them very filling.
To read the original Health.com story and get a list of 20 super-satisfying foods, go here.
© 2023 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.