• 6:00 a.m. I kick-start my metabolism with a glass of water with lemon, then I go for an hour-long walk to get my blood flowing. Fresh air and gentle, moderate exercise help get the day started.
• 7:00 a.m. When I come home, I have a breakfast of three egg whites and two egg yolks, sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes, steamed spinach, one piece of whole-grain toast with a little orange marmalade, and a cup of coffee.
Whole grains are digested more slowly and evenly when they are combined with protein. Eggs ven out the insulin production, and keep me feeling satisfied and energetic much longer.
Not so long ago, I was eating only oatmeal and fruit in the morning, just as the Ornish plan recommends. However, I found that I ran out of energy at about 10 o’clock each morning.
Even whole-grain starches cause a pronounced rise in the secretion of insulin, which eventually leads to a sudden drop in blood sugar.
• 12:00 p.m. For lunch, I have a salad with a strip of chicken or fish. I use very little dressing and always place it on the side. Once again, the protein helps the meal carry me through the afternoon.
For variety, I’ll make myself a sandwich of hard cheese, avocado, and sliced turkey on whole-wheat bread.
• 2:30 p.m. A handful of raw walnuts or almonds helps me get through a hungry spell in the mid-afternoon. I always have some nearby, just in case. If I get really hungry, I’ll complement the nuts with an apple.
• 6:00 p.m. For dinner, I have fish, steamed vegetables, and a bowl of fruit for dessert.
• Every once in a while I’ll have a piece of dark chocolate as a healthy indulgence
I eat like this every day, especially during the work week. On the weekend, my wife and I allow ourselves a little variety to keep the diet from feeling like a burden. That’s OK as long as you go right back to the plan and stay with it.
In sum, keep it simple, keep it light, and keep it fresh. Find healthy foods that you enjoy, and explore the whole world of seasonings that can make healthy meals like this into real taste treats.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.