People are turning to a powerful Mediterranean herb to protect themselves during the global pandemic. It's called oregano oil and has proven to boost the immune system by increasing the levels of interferon in the blood, as well as killing the flu virus.
According to University Health News Daily, traditional healers have long relied upon oregano oil as a natural remedy to treat respiratory issues such as coughs, colds, flu, sore throats, and bronchitis. It's a great home remedy for treating the flu because it promotes sweating, which helps reduce fever.
Research conducted in 2011 found that oregano oil can inhibit both human and animal viruses in vitro because it contains carvacrol, a compound found in the oil. The researchers noted that the oil was particularly effective against respiratory viruses, such as flu viruses, according to Healthline.
Here are other health benefits:
- Anti-aging. Oregano is rich in antioxidants, which help you fight chronic disease and premature aging, says another Healthline article.
- Antibacterial. A test-tube study showed that oregano oil was effective in killing 23 species of bacteria.
- Fights cancer. According to Healthline, the pungent herb helps neutralize free radical damage to the cells and helps kill cancer cells. In one study, carvacrol helped suppress the growth and spread of colon cancer cells.
- Antiviral. Both carvacrol and thymol, another compound found in the herb, appear to have antiviral properties. In one study, the dynamic duo was effective in killing 90% of the herpes simplex virus in just one hour. Many of the current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommendations for effective disinfectant products to knock out the coronavirus include thymol as their main ingredient.
- Fights inflammation. We know that inflammation may be the underlying cause for many diseases, according to the latest research, and may also exacerbate COVID-19. Oregano oil, with its abundance of antioxidants, helps reduce inflammation in the body to ward off heart disease, diabetes, and autoimmune conditions, says Healthline.
- Fungal infections. Thymol also is an effective treatment for common fungal infections, according to Medical News Today. It can help treat oral thrush, yeast infections, infected toenails and fingernails, and athlete's foot.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.