Having couple problems? You might consider reading a self-help book as a first step to examining your issues. Over the last 20 years, the couples’ advice genre has gotten steadily better, based on some very persuasive and replicable research.
I find myself recommending the same set of books over and over again to couples who come to me for treatment, because co-reading constructive approaches to improving your functioning as a couple is, in and of itself, a bonding experience.
Here are six of my favorite books:
1. Fighting for Your Marriage: A Deluxe Revised Edition of the classic bestseller for enhancing marriage and preventing divorce, by Howard J. Markman, Scott M. Stanley, and Susan L. Blumberg
2. Hold Me Tight by Sue Johnson, Ph.D.
3. Getting the Love You Want, by Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
4. Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert by John Gott and and Nan Silver
5. Wired for Love by Stan Tatkin
6. No More Fighting: The Relationship Book for Couples: 20 Minutes a Week to a Stronger Relationship by Alicia Munoz
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.