×
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
VIEW
×
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
VIEW
Tags: Trump Entertainment | Atlantic City | Casino | Gambling

Trump Entertainment Begins Race to Save Atlantic City Casino

Wednesday, 10 September 2014 01:19 PM

Trump Entertainment Resorts received U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval on Wednesday for an agreement that gives it 30 days to craft a cost-cutting turnaround plan to save its Taj Mahal casino-hotel from liquidation.

A lawyer for Trump Entertainment said after the hearing in Wilmington, Delaware, that the company could present a plan to end operations.

"It could be a liquidating plan, but we hope not," said Kristopher Hansen, an attorney with Stroock & Stroock & Lavan who represents Trump Entertainment.

The company plans to close the smaller of its two casinos, the Trump Plaza, next week. It will become the fourth casino-hotel to close in the New Jersey seaside resort this year.

Gaming revenues in Atlantic City have fallen by about half over the past eight years as neighboring states legalized slot machines and table games.

Alert: IRS Insider Reveals How to Save as Much as $355,000

Earlier this month the city was hit by the closures of the Showboat and the striking, two-year-old Revel casino hotel, a $2.4 billion complex that many hoped would rejuvenate Atlantic City.

Hansen said hopes that the closures would boost Trump Entertainment's business by removing competition were misplaced and gambling revenues had fallen 25 percent since the Revel shut its doors. "We have been seeing accelerating losses," he told Delaware Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross in Wilmington, Delaware.

Hansen told Gross that the company could not find financing to help keep it operating in bankruptcy, leaving the company dependent on billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who has liens on the company's cash.

Icahn consented to giving the company 30 days to present a plan of reorganization. The plan must be confirmed by Gross in 105 days, or late November.

Icahn is owed about $286 million.

"If in fact we need to shut the Taj Mahal we will pursue an orderly wind-down of these cases thereafter," Hansen said.

The company said it spends about $20 million a year on pension and other labor costs, which Hansen said was unsustainable in the current gambling market. He said Trump Entertainment also needed to cut its debt payments, which total $38 million annually.

The casino emerged from its last bankruptcy in 2010, with a plan backed by Marc Lasry's Avenue Capital Management investment funds. Real estate developer-turned-reality TV star Donald Trump held a minority stake.

Icahn at the time ridiculed the Lasry-Trump plan as a "farce" that would land the company back in bankruptcy by starving it of capital.

Alert: IRS Insider Reveals How to Save as Much as $355,000

Trump sued the company bearing his name in August to have his named removed, saying the properties were so poorly maintained they would tarnish his image.

The latest filing marks the fifth bankruptcy related to these casinos, according to Fitch, a credit rating agency.

© 2021 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.


Finance
Trump Entertainment Resorts received U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval on Wednesday for an agreement that gives it 30 days to craft a cost-cutting turnaround plan to save its Taj Mahal casino-hotel from liquidation.
Trump Entertainment, Atlantic City, Casino, Gambling
463
2014-19-10
Wednesday, 10 September 2014 01:19 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
More Articles
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved