Tags: Trump Administration | china | warns | us | trade | off | tariffs

China Says All Trade Progress Is Off If US Imposes Tariffs

Sunday, 03 June 2018 06:43 AM

All commitments made so far in talks with the U.S. over trade will be withdrawn if President Donald Trump carries out his threat to impose tariffs, China said Sunday.

While both sides reported some progress in discussions this weekend about how to reduce China’s $375 billion goods-trade surplus with the U.S., Trump’s reversal last month of an agreement that was seen as avoiding new duties has cast the talks into turmoil.

“If the U.S. rolls out trade measures including tariffs, all the agreements reached in the negotiations won’t take effect,” state-run Xinhua News Agency reported Sunday, citing a statement from the Chinese team that met with a U.S. delegation led by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.

The two sides had good talks about agriculture, energy and other sectors, with some “positive, concrete” progress, Xinhua said, adding that the details still need final confirmation from each side. China is willing to expand imports from the U.S. and other nations, it said, though the premise for any agreement is that the two sides won’t start a trade war.

The Xinhua report came after Ross met Sunday with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He for talks that Ross called “friendly and frank, and covered some useful topics about specific export items.”

A commentary by state-run China Radio International said that the government’s stance on canceling any agreements reached in the talks if Trump’s tariffs go into effect was a “red line.”

Gas, Food

The U.S. delegation, which was in Beijing for two days, included energy and agriculture experts, reflecting the U.S. desire to increase exports of natural gas and food.

On the Chinese side, officials including Commerce Minister Zhong Shan, Central Bank Governor Yi Gang, Vice Agricultural Minister Han Jun, and Li Fanrong, vice minister of national energy administration, accompanied Liu in the talks, according to a media pool report.

During his visit, Ross has been looking to build on a vague joint statement released May 19, after negotiations in Washington. China pledged then to take steps to “substantially” reduce the U.S. trade deficit, including by buying more American farm goods and energy, though it didn’t commit to a dollar amount.

Shifting Stance

President Donald Trump announced last week that the U.S. will forge ahead with a plan to slap tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports just 10 days after the two reached the truce agreement in Washington. China slammed the “flip-flop,” vowing to hit back should the U.S. tariff threat materialize.

In addition to tariffs, Ross is under pressure from U.S. lawmakers to stay tough on Chinese telecom-equipment maker ZTE Corp. China pressed the U.S. to give ZTE a break after the Commerce Department cut off the company from U.S. suppliers to punish it for allegedly lying to American officials in a sanctions case.

Last month, Trump said he would allow ZTE to stay in business once it pays a $1.3 billion fine, shakes up its management, and provides “high-level security guarantees.” Republican Senator Marco Rubio and other lawmakers from both parties have questioned Trump’s leniency toward ZTE, arguing the company represents a security risk.

Global Stakes

The stakes are high for the global economy, which is cruising at its fastest pace of growth in seven years. But the International Monetary Fund has warned that a trade war could threaten the recovery, and policy makers are contending with a growing list of geopolitical risks, from a political crisis in Italy to the rocky progress of peace talks with North Korea.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Saturday the U.S. wants to see “structural changes” in the Chinese economy.

“This isn’t just about buying more goods. This is about structural changes,” Mnuchin told reporters in Whistler, Canada, at the close of a summit of G-7 finance chiefs. “If there are structural changes that allow our companies to compete fairly, by definition that will deal with the trade deficit alone.”

© Copyright 2019 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
All commitments made so far in talks with the U.S. over trade will be withdrawn if President Donald Trump carries out his threat to impose tariffs, China said Sunday.While both sides reported some progress in discussions this weekend about how to reduce China's $375 billion...
china, warns, us, trade, off, tariffs, begin
644
2018-43-03
Sunday, 03 June 2018 06:43 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved