Tags: Case | retiring | financially | stable

MarketWatch: The Case for Not Retiring

By    |   Friday, 07 March 2014 06:33 PM

There is a lot of talk going around about people who won't be able to retire because of inadequate savings.

But, "for some people who are lucky enough to be financially stable and can find a job to their liking, staying in the workforce well into their golden years might make sense," writes Anisha Sekar of MarketWatch.

She cites a study from the U.K.-based Institute of Economic Affairs that finds several disadvantages of retirement.

Editor’s Note: Retire 10 Years Earlier With These 4 Stocks

The survey says it's "possible that health will initially improve when somebody retires and then, after a while, start to deteriorate due to reduced physical activity and social interaction."

The survey finds that retirement lowers the chances of staying in "very good" or "excellent" self-assessed health by about 40 percent. Retirement raises the odds of suffering from a diagnosed physical condition by about 60 percent.

And retirement increases the chances of contracting clinical depression by about 40 percent, according to the survey.

On the financial side, waiting until the age of 70 to retire will lift your Social Security income by more than 30 percent, according to the Journal of Financial Planning.

Meanwhile, a recent U.S. News & World Report story cites five retirement penalties you should avoid:
  •  the IRA early withdrawal penalty,
  •  the 401(k) early withdrawal penalty,
  •  the penalty for failing to take required distributions from your IRA and 401(k),
  •  the penalty for beginning your Social Security payments early,
  •  the penalty for late enrollment in Medicare.
Editor’s Note: Retire 10 Years Earlier With These 4 Stocks
Related Stories:


© 2019 Newsmax Finance. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
StreetTalk
There is a lot of talk going around about people who won't be able to retire because of inadequate savings.
Case,retiring,financially,stable
282
2014-33-07
Friday, 07 March 2014 06:33 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved