When Jennifer Faga walks out the front door of her Montauk, Long Island, home, she leaves behind a wooden puzzle for her rescue dogs to alleviate their fear of abandonment.
“When I put the puzzle down on the floor, they are engaged in getting the treat and don’t notice that I’m gone,” said Faga, a veterinarian. “It helps them to focus on something other than me leaving.”
Wooden puzzles are just one gift among many that a pet owner will potentially appreciate.
Here is a list of five:
- Smalls offers a subscription-based weekly meal service for cats. The wet food arrives by Fed Ex and once the meal portions are defrosted, cat owners can scoop out a serving, add liver powder, which most cats love, or flavorings such as chicken broth and flakes. One significant benefit of the subscription meals, according to Collyn Ahart, head of brand, is that the cat’s fecal matter doesn’t smell as aromatically on a Smalls meal plan. “That’s huge for people who live in smaller flats and apartments where the litter box is in a corner and out in the open,” Ahart told Newsmax Finance. “Cats will develop more energy for playtime and their coats become glossier over time.”
- Wellness is not only popular with people but also pets. Cristina Cristian treats animals with a traumatic past or behavioral issues, offering gift certificates for Reiki sessions priced at $50 per half an hour. “I put my hands on the pet and Universal Life Force Energy emanates onto the animal,” Cristian told Newsmax. “It’s the equivalent of a massage, which enhances their wellbeing.”
- Family history is not just for humans anymore. Pet owners can finally put to rest their mutt’s family of origin with Embark or Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA tests. “People wonder where their dog comes from but it’s not something they would usually purchase on their own,” said Grissom. “It’s fun and interesting to discover what breed makes up this furry creature that has taken over your life. It’s also a great conversation starter.”
- For older pets, there’s Hemp oil for arthritis. “I have an 18 year old dog who was found tied to a tree in a park and she could hardly walk because she’s very arthritic.” When Faga started her on Veritas Farms Full spectrum hemp oil tincture, she went from being a 30 pound elderly dog barely able to walk and with severe heat emanating from her joints to running around like puppy. “I put 10 drops in her food twice a day,” said Faga who prefers Hemp tinctures and oil to Hemp or CBD treats in case her pets are allergic to grains.
- As the humanization of animals continues to progress, pet owners are buying new scientific developments such as My Pet Dog Allergy Test. “These kits help pet lovers feel confident in knowing their pet’s nutritional needs to keep them happy and healthy,” said Mary Lugones, director of business strategy with Chewy.
Juliette Fairley is an author, lecturer and TV host based in New York.
© 2024 Newsmax Finance. All rights reserved.